Monday, January 21, 2013

MY UNFORGETTABLE EX-STUDENTS

Frank McCourt wrote: "The main thing I am interested in is my experience as a teacher". In his book Teacher Man he points out that he has tought to hundreds of students and he he has learnt very much.  This is one of the most striking things of teaching. In fact it's an exchange of learning experiences between students & teachers. I have learnt a lot from my students, too. Some of then will be always in my memories for different reasons. Along my life I have met by accident people who have called me: "profe". They had been my students before and wanted to talk to me reather than hiding!. They have made me happy for an instant. I have helped students to learn English but also to survive. Artzai is a survivor whom I sometimes meet in the underground. I feel very proud of him. Anabel & Lorena look after my children and are an example of young people fighting for a place in our society. Carlos shared music with me and told me about his worries... There are so many names I'll never forget.
Last year it was a special year at work. I went back to Joaquín Sorolla Adult School, where I always felt at home. I worked again with beloved friends like Dori, Delicia & Carmen and I met new teachers who are now part of my life like Marian, Lucía, Lola & Rocío.
But I also met wonderful students who were supportive and enthusiastic. Some of them achieved their goal at our school (The Aceso boys: Kike, Jaime, Víctor) and many of them were forced to leave our school due to our rulers unfair policy of cutting. I miss them so much. Some of them come to visit me and smile at me and that is a reward. I had coffee this morning with Belén and Pilar from my ex-conversation group and it was such a pleasure. They are faithful followers of this blog. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. ohh!! It's so beautifull, I wonder if you are thinking to write a book or something like that, I like the way you write. I miss you too. we will see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the mention, for us students was also a pleasure to spend the afternoon in the Sorolla with you, Sergio and company.

    PS: I hope you like my new picture over whatsapp, jajjaja

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jaime, Thank you for your lovely compliment. I'm always writing!!! Anything. I have written since I was little. It's a need as C. P G. a literature professor at university tought me. In fact I am a frustrated writer but I hope to do the same as Frank McCourt: When I retire, I'll write a best seller about my life and I'll become prestigious and rich!!!!

    Dear Víctor, Thanks for all your help in my blog and other technology problems, which are so many... I do like your new picture. In fact I envy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's so sweet! It's a pleasure to hear (or read) a teacher speaking like that. Unfortunatly not all teachers love and enjoy teaching as you do. Dispite it's no always easy to deal with teenagers, u did it (and do it) wonderfull!
    Congratulations for this blog and thanx for being a great person.

    Ps: I agree that u should try to write a novel or something jeje.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a lot Anabel!!!!
    Good luck at work and also with your English!!!

    ReplyDelete